Of all Turkish buildings that had existed in Serbia, the most numerous were mosques. Only in Belgrade there were 273 mosques, but all of them, except one, were demolished during the history. The largest and most beautiful mosque that had existed in Belgrade was the Batal mosque, which was located on the site of today's Federal Assembly. Travel writers had compared it with the famous Hagia Sophia. It was pulled down in 1869.
These are some of the mosques that nowadays exist in Serbia.
The Bajrakli Mosque
Hussein-bey, assistant of Turkish chief commander Ali-pasha, renewed the building in 1741, and, for some time after, it was called Hussein-bey's mosque or Hussein-chehaya's mosque. At the end of the 18th century it was named Bajrakli-mosque.
After its renewal in the 19th century, which was undertaken by Serbian noblemen, it became the central city mosque. Today it is the only active Muslim place of worship in Belgrade.
The Altun-alem Mosque
Sultan Mehmet Fatih Mosque
In 1689, the mosque was temporarily converted into a Jesuit church dedicated to Francis Xavier by the Austrian occupants during the Austrian-Turkish wars. The Imperial Mosque was restored during the rule of Sultan Mehmet IV, where as the present-day minaret is a reconstruction of the original, which was damaged during the earthquake that struck Pristina in 1955. Today, the main mosque is used by hundreds of Prishtina's citizens for daily prayer.
Sinan Pasha Mosque
It was named after its founder, Sinan Pasha. There is an inscription on its internal wall saying “Đenet misali”‚ meaning “similar to Heaven”. The Sinan Pasha Mosque is nowadays under protection of the Republic of Serbia as a cultural monument of outstanding importance.