This fountain is located on Kalemegdan fortress. It is considered that this is the first fountain in Belgrade. The fountain was put up by Mehed Pasha Sokolovic (a Pasha of Serbian descent who was forcibly converted to Islam as a boy) in the second half of the sixteenth century. In the seventieth century, during his visit to Belgrade, Elvija Celebija wrote down the inscription he saw on the fountain, saying: “Come forth bey, if you wish to drink from a heavenly wealth”. It was meant to service the nearby mosque. During the Austrian reconstruction of the Belgrade’s Fortress, the trench where the fountain was placed was filled up in order to create a passage to the Lower Town from the Defterdar’s Gate. After this, its appearance changed greatly. The fountain was unearthed in 1938, when parts of the façade were discovered and surrounding area renovated. In 1989 conservation and restoration works were carried out, and after necessary adaptation works in 2006 were done the fountain is again operational.